- This event has passed.
September 8 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm$20
The first of a series of workshops for #Cuenticos, which commissions writing on topics exploring Dominican identity. Submissions are accepted in English, Spanish, or Spanglish. Selected essays will be promoted via social media, and weekly workshops will be scheduled for participants. #Cuenticos grants writers the rare opportunity to pursue their writing ambitions by becoming published authors. Participants are encouraged to share their personal anecdotes providing insight into what it means to be Latinx. The critical monthly themes that #Cuenticos will be exploring are:
● Identifying and overcoming generational trauma.
● Hardships, struggles, and achievements of being a foreigner.
● Lives and values of housing projects residents.
● The question of belonging for first and second-generation American-born Dominicans, what makes your nationality valid? Is it bloodline or upbringing?
● Cultural representation: examining clichés, stereotypes, tropes, and ideas through shared personal memory.
Workshops will focus on crafting text, the revision process, and discussions on marketing strategies and networking. Participants will explore the love of writing while also acquiring the necessary knowledge to navigate the publishing industry.